The 2019 Louisiana Landmarks Society Awards for Excellence in Historic Preservation will be presented and celebrated at a program and reception on Wednesday, May 15 at 6:00 pm at Hotel Peter and Paul, 2317 Burgundy Street, New Orleans, LA 70117.
These awards honor projects completed in Orleans Parish in 2018 which represent outstanding examples of restoration or rehabilitation of historic buildings and new construction.
1428 Ursulines Avenue
Jason Riggs, Historic Pro Nola, LLC, owner; Adler Design Build, LLC, architect
When the team began this renovation in Faubourg Tremé, cats claw trumpet vine creeped over all elevations, threatening the remaining historic elements of this Greek revival style cottage. Fortunately, this shotgun still retained much original detailing including window sash, entry door casing and desirable recessed side gallery. In 1911, the Economy Mutual Aid Hall, a benevolent society for African Americans, acquired the dwelling and used it as its headquarters. Adjacent to the property was Economy Hall, a famous jazz club located in a now-demolished structure. Creating two living units, this honored project has brought people back to the neighborhood as well as salvaged an important architectural element.
Harriet Tubman Elementary School
2013 General Mayer Avenue
Tubman School Facility, LLC, owner; Recovery School District/Louisiana Department of Education; Mahlum/Scairono Martinez, architect;
Jacobs/CSRS, project manager; Construction Masters, Inc., contractor
Originally named for Jewish banker Adolph Meyer, Harriet Tubman Elementary School was built in 1917 as part of the present complex, which includes a shotgun caretaker’s cottage. Designed in the popular Craftsman style by City of New Orleans architect Edgar Christy, the school was enlarged with additional wings after 1925. A century later, years of deferred maintenance combined with termite and hurricane damage left the school unusable. In 2018 the Louisiana Recovery School District completed a $17 million renovation, transforming the school with up-to-date technology while retaining much of the school’s early-20th-century character.
Hotel Peter and Paul
2317 Burgundy Street
ASH NYC and Nathalie Jordi, owners; studioWTA, architect; Palmisano, general contractor; MacRostie Historic Advisors and Rick Fifield, AIA. historic consultants; Robert Lilkendey, acoustical consultant; Pace Group, structural engineer; Frishhertz, electrical engineer; Pontchartrain Mechanical, mechanical engineer
Opening recently to the welcoming acclaim of both locals and national press, this ambitious hotel project, spearheaded by owner and Marigny resident Nathalie Jordi, revitalized this historic ecclesiastical complex, which had been abandoned and neglected since 2001. Organized in 1848 for Faubourg Marigny’s Irish Catholic residents, the Sts. Peter and Paul community consisted of the church, designed in 1862 by heralded architect Henry Howard, school, rectory and convent, all playing integral roles in the religious, educational and social life of its neighborhood. This adaptive reuse focused on creating a sense of a light architectural touch, seamlessly concealing the effort necessary to successfully restore the structures.
John McDonogh High School
2426 Esplanade Avenue
John Mc School Facility, LLC, owner; Recovery School District,/Louisiana Department of Education; VergesRome Architects, APAC, architect; C. Spencer Smith, AIA, architect; CORE Construction, general contractor; Jacobs/CSCR, project manager
For over a century, the impressive turreted Gothic revival style red brick school has dominated its streetscape. One of the last schools built in New Orleans with money donated by philanthropist John McDonogh and a fine example of the eclectic designs of City of New Orleans architect E.A. Christy, the building opened as the Esplanade Girls High School in 1912, to be renamed John McDonogh High School in 1923. After some troubled years, the school closed in 2014. Today a full renovation has retuned glister to this landmark, which now houses Bricolage, a charter school serving an ethnically diverse student body of children from pre-kindergarten through fifth grades.
2541 Bayou Road and 2533-2539 Columbus Street
Bayou Tremé Center, LLC, owner; Metro Studio, architect; Ryan Gootee General Contractors, contractor; Spackman Mossop Michaels, landscape architect; Charcoalblue, theater consultant; Alembic Community Development and Rose Community Development Corporation, developers
Replacing the original wood frame church and the first substantial church that tragically burned in 1913, the Tudor Gothic styled St. Rose de Lima Church, along with the parish school buildings, faithfully served the Bayou Road/Broad Street neighborhoods for almost 100 years before permanent closure post-Katrina. Respecting the history of the buildings, the development partners in 2018 redeveloped the 1.5-acre site into a hub for arts, education and entrepreneurship that will continue to serve its neighborhood and beyond, including indoor and outdoor performance areas, shared small business workspaces, a community incubator and a pre-K through eighth grade school.
St. Stephen Catholic Church
1025 Napoleon Avenue
Archdiocese of New Orleans/Good Shepherd Parish, owner; Trapolin-Peer Architects. architect; DonahueFavret Contractors, Inc., general contractor
An anchor along lower Napoleon Avenue for more than 125 years, magnificent St. Stephen Catholic Church was upgraded with behind-the-scenes mechanics, all while preserving and enhancing the original construction techniques, materials and methods. Extraordinary attention to the roof, brick and mortar of the church structure served to provide secure weatherproofing for its long-term maintenance. With lead and asbestos removal--a priority for the interior--a plan for selective plaster replacement, wall re-painting and restoration of the tongue and groove flooring was implemented, along with refurbishment of the exquisite architectural elements, gold leaf accents and re-creation of historic mouldings.
419 Carondelet Street
419 Carondelet LLC, owner; Welty Architecture, LLC, architect; Design Engineering Inc. structural and civil engineers; DEI Contractors, LLC, contractor
Constructed in 1858 during the city’s booming antebellum years, this visually united row of three four-story masonry stores stood for decades as dismal reminders of the bad things that happened to downtowns in the 1960s. Neglected, unused and failing structurally, the buildings overlooked a vast parking lot. New life has returned to the Faubourg St. Marie, along with which has come the revitalization of these historic buildings. Taking advantage of the economic benefits of federal historic rehabilitation tax credits and the Preservation Resource Center’s façade easement program, the developing team crafted a successful mixed-use development of sixteen spacious apartments and three ground-floor commercial spaces.
Dual Brand Hotel
1600 Canal Street
NewcrestImage, owner; Campo Architects, architect; Design DMU, EXP, Morphy Makofsky Inc., engineer
Built in 1968 for Ocean Drilling and Exploration Company (“ODECO”), this mid-century modern glass and steel midrise was a product of Louisiana’s petroleum heyday. Designed by architect Paul Mouton and master engineer William Mouton, the building pioneered an innovative precast foundation system. Its innovations were in keeping with the inventions devised by ODECO’s co-founder Alden Laborde, who developed the infrastructure that enabled the nation’s offshore oil industry. After the departure of ODECO in 1992, the building lost its principle tenant, sitting vacant for a decade after Hurricane Katrina. Recently renovated into a dual-branded Marriott Suites hotel, the building retains its glass and arched exterior, steel columns, and window grates.
620 Opelousas Avenue
New Orleans Redevelopment Fund, owner; Albert Architecture, architect; Hernandez Consulting and Construction, contractor
With a roof deck above leafy Opelousas Street in historic Algiers Point offering spectacular views of the Mississippi River and the Central Business District, this 15,000 square foot former St. John’s Masonic Lodge has found exciting new life as a uniquely-styled, ten-unit apartment building. The double-height and high ceilings of the lodge assembly rooms featured expansive steel windows that with restoration and re-design became double-height living spaces, also featuring maintained and exposed original flooring, brick and plaster detailing. These challenging but sensitive and creative plan layouts qualified the property for both State and Federal historic tax credits.
640 Magazine Street
640 Magazine Street LLC, owner; Rozas-Ward Architects, architect; Gibbs Construction, contractor
This multi-story complex of buildings has served for over a century as the headquarters and packing facilities for the William B. Reily Coffee Company, noted for its iconic Luzianne brand. Expanded and renovated over the years, its existing Commercial style detailing dates to 1927, when it was united visually according to the design of local architect Francis B. MacDonnell. The building prominently displays generous fenestration, characteristic of its style and ideal for this adaptive reuse from light industrial to mixed residential and commercial. This honored project created thirty-five residential units, retail and office space on the ground floor, a first-floor accessory parking garage and rooftop amenities.
New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Foundation
1205 North Rampart Street
New Orleans Jazz & Heritage Foundation (NOJHF), owner; Trapolin-Peer Architects, APC,
architect; CDW Services, general contractor; Spackman Mossop Michaels, landscape architect; Hilary S. Irvin, tax credit consultant; Damien Serauskas, mechanical engineer; Creighton Engineer, electrical engineer; Bose Engineering, structural engineer
A few years after the Civil War ended, Jules LeBlanc, a French-born Cuban merchant, built these two Italianate-style storehouses, located on an imposing corner in the Faubourg Tremé. Figuring prominently for decades in the life of the then fashionable Creole neighborhood, the buildings fell into disrepair in the early 20th-century. When the foundation acquired the property in the late 1980s, many of its historic elements were gone or altered, and the rear courtyard served as a mechanical yard. Approaching the renovation with sensitivity to its historicity, while acknowledging the needs of the client, the team provided a fully updated headquarters, while maintaining its ambience in the cultural landscape.
716 North Claiborne Avenue
Craig Lehnhardt, Ben R. Guillory Jr. and Robert Bergeron, owners; Concordia, LLC, architect; NFT Group, contractor; WDG Engineers, engineers; Mary Lane Carlton, historic tax credit consultant
Located at the visually prominent corner of North Claiborne and Orleans Avenues under the Interstate 10 overpass, this two-story store incorporates a brick Creole cottage on its first floor, with the frame second floor added in the late nineteenth century. Adjacent to the site of the historic nineteenth-century Tremé Market, this commercial building figured as part of the vibrant African-American cultural and commercial community that developed along North Claiborne from the early twentieth century until the 1966-69 construction of the I-10 highway. Neglected and severely deteriorated, this remnant of the once lively corridor has been restored by a dedicated team of professionals, utilizing the benefits of historic tax credits.
Cambria Hotel Warehouse District Project
632 Tchoupitoulas Street
Fillmore Capital Partners, owner; Holly & Smith Architects, architect; Landis Construction Co, LLC; Salas O’Brien, LLC, engineer; Morphy, Makofsky, Inc, engineer
Deftly tucked into a narrow former parking lot on a densely occupied business district street, the new Cambria Hotel Warehouse District represents a successful approach to urban infill in an historic district. The project transformed an empty space into a handsome and vibrant hotel building that is respectful of the mix of the neighboring historic buildings and converted warehouses. Thoughtful design and careful planning took care to recognize the scale and context of the surrounding neighborhood, utilizing a simple palette of materials commonly found in the district.
2606 St. Louis Street
GCE Green St. Louis, LLC, owner; CCWIV Architecture, LLC, architect; Duplantis Design Group, PC, engineer; Enhanced Capital; Gulf Coast Bank; RAMM SDF 2017, LLC
The radical conversion of an unsightly, abandoned 1940s industrial building into The Greenway Apartments transforms a section of the Lafitte Greenway while taking care to preserve the greenway’s pastoral character. With twelve apartments and commercial spaces, the project adds life and leisure facilities to a promising but undeveloped area. The development reconfigured the former Tulane Industrial Laundry’s concrete block and steel-framed building while maintaining its industrial character and appearance. With vehicle parking confined to the interior and public and private terraces overlooking the exterior, Greenway Apartments seeks to both preserve and take advantage of the scenic character of the greenway.
Special Award for Excellence in Historic Preservation
Vieux Carré Virtual Library
Vieux Carré Commission Foundation, owner; Vieux Carré Commission; Tesler Preservation Consulting, LLC, project manager; New Orleans City Hall Information Technology Department, IT Architects; Gambrel & Peak, LLC Image archiving
vieuxcarre.nola.gov is the portal to a map-based electronic archive of countless Vieux Carré images, documents and records, due to the work of a talented team of archivists, researchers and technicians determined to not only preserve these artifacts from deterioration and natural disaster but to make this valuable history readily available to the general public. This exciting, new website merges these historic records with cutting edge technology so as to permit what is described as “a peer into the past of New Orleans’ most historic neighborhood,” and serves as an integrative educational and planning resource of national and international significance and importance.
Many Thanks to our generous Sponsors: