Louisiana Landmarks Society celebrates publication of
Gateway to New Orleans: Bayou St. John, 1708 – 2018
with panel discussion and reception at The Historic New Orleans Collection
On Thursday, June 14, Louisiana Landmarks Society launched the publication of its new book, Gateway to New Orleans: Bayou St. John, 1708 – 2018 with a standing room only panel discussion within the Boyd Cruise Room of The Historic New Orleans Collection’s Williams Research Center (THNOC). Daniel Hammer, vice president and deputy director of THNOC, welcomed the crowd, followed by Landmarks Society’s Second Vice President Sandra Stokes, who provided a quick overview of the organization’s involvement. The Louisiana Landmarks Society was engaged as the publishing partner for the book by the late preservationist and author Mary Louise Christovich, who conceived the idea for the project and made its publication possible.
Utilizing Christovich’s early research on the Bayou St. John area as the starting point, authors Hilary Somerville Irvin, R. Stephanie Bruno, Heather Veneziano and S. Frederick Starr continued the research and subsequent writing, unearthing new information through the process that is presented exclusively within the book. Christovich, who served as the chief editor along with editors Florence M. Jumonville and Heather Veneziano, continued to work on the book until literally the day that she passed. Exquisite, contemporary full-color photographs by Robert and Jan Brantley complement historical photographs and maps, notarial drawings, and paintings of the bayou neighborhood. With the preface by Richard Campanella and all that is found within the main body of the text, Gateway to New Orleans: Bayou St. John, 1708 – 2018 transcends documentation of buildings to include narratives, scholarly research and historical accounts of the Faubourg St. John neighborhood.
The evening of June 14 included panelists Florence M. Jumonville, Hilary Somerville Irvin, R. Stephanie Bruno, Heather Veneziano and photographer Robert S. Brantley discussing their contributions to the book, concluding with a brief question and answer period moderated by Louisiana Landmarks Society’s President, Michael Duplantier. A lively reception was hosted on the patio of THNOC’s Williams Research Center following a book signing by the panelists.
Gateway to New Orleans: Bayou St. John, 1708 – 2018 is available for purchase at Louisiana Landmarks Society’s website or at the Pitot House, 1440 Moss Street, as well as through area booksellers.